Oh, the power and majesty of the moon.
The moon can create movement in both the seen and unseen world. We can see her energy in nature with the movement of water via the tides and can often feel the energy of the moon cycle in our bodies. Women in particular have this ability with their “moon cycle”.
Utilizing the magic of the moon has been a practice for centuries, and we can still tap into that today by following the movement of the moon across the sky. There are several phases of the moon but, for now I am only going to focus on the new moon.
(Please note each moon cycles run in 6 month increments so your intentions for this upcoming new moon may not manifest until then.)
The new moon is a time to get still and focus on the seeds we want to plant in our lives. It is about newness and is a perfect time for setting intentions focusing on what we want to bring into our lives. Even though the moon is not illuminated in the night sky, its darkness inspires us to take a look at the darkness within ourselves and in our lives to determine where we can shine our light more brightly.
With inspiration from Ezzie Spencer’s book, Lunar Abundance, I found a new moon practice that has served me well. She has a list of questions to spark your intention setting by assessing your current life situation across several areas.
I’ve tweaked her process a bit to fit my needs by looking at certain areas of my life now, what I would like my life to look like in the future and what steps I need to take to make the future a reality. Grab your journal or notebook to get started.
(And if you're on the KarmicKindness email list, you received a downloadable handy Moon Intention/Insight Pack...sign up today to receive a Soul Glow Journal Pack and future goodies only available by email!)
Be sure to keep your journal handy and/or Moon Intention/Insight Sheets so that you can track your manifestation progress and look back to see where you may need to modify your intentions along the way.
Start with a short meditation to ground yourself and connect with the energy of the new moon. This is best done the day of the new moon but you could do it a day or two before or after if that works better with your busy life’s schedule.
After you are connected with the Earth and your Higher Self, you are now ready to take the first step in making moon magic happen! It’s time to get clear on your life as it is and how you’d like it to be. Even though I’ve listed questions across several life areas, I would recommend choosing one or two (max) area(s) to focus on per moon cycle. You are more likely to stick with it and the Universe will have a better time co-creating with you if you limit your focus.
I’d recommend answering all the questions at each new moon and then focusing your intentions on the area(s) you’ve chosen. It’s a great practice to get into to gain clarity on where you are, where you’re going and what changes need to be made to get there.
And now for the juicy stuff…
Life as a Whole:
- What does your current life look and feel like?
- What does your ideal life look and feel like?
- What can you do to bring your current life closer to your ideal life?
- Are you with a Soulmate now? What does your current relationship look and feel like?
- What does your ideal Soulmate relationship look and feel like?
- What can you do to close the gap between your current relationship and the one you desire?
- Outside of your intimate partnership, who else in your life?
- What would be the ideal dynamic in your personal relationships?
- What can you do to make those relationships better?
- What is your current relationship like with your family?
- What would your ideal relationship with your family look and feel like?
- What can you do to being your current relationship with your family closer to the ideal?
Physical Body (Part 1):
- How do you currently feel in your body?
- How would you like to feel in your body?
- What can you do to bring yourself closer to feeling the way you’d like to in your physical body?
Physical Body (Part 2):
- How do you currently move your body? What are you currently eating?
- What would your ideal body movement practice look like? What would your ideal food intake look like?
- What can you do to get closer to the ideal in both body movement and eating habits?
Career & Finances:
- What do you currently do for a living? What is your current financial picture?
- What would be your ideal career? What would your ideal financial picture look like?
- What can you do to bring your career and financial picture closer to the ideal?
- Do you currently have any spiritual practices? (Ex: meditation, journaling, etc)
- What would your ideal spiritual practice look like?
- How can you close the gap between your current and ideal spiritual life?
Once you’ve answered all the questions and decided on what area(s) you want to focus on for this particular new moon, it’s time to write your intention. Writing an intention keeps you on track because it simplifies what you want to manifest.
I’d recommend writing in down on post-its and sticking them around your house or office as visual reminders to keep you on track. You could also put it in your calendar or set an alarm on your phone to go off a few times a day labeled with your new moon intention!
Your intention for the new moon should be short and sweet.
For example if your focus area is Intimate Relationship and you are currently single, ideally want a partner who is interested in yoga, and one way to bring that closer to reality is to go to a variety of yoga classes because the chances of meeting a like-minded individual is increased; your intention could look something like this:
I will attend a variety of yoga classes to open myself up to new experiences and people.
Post-it/phone version: Openness to Yoga Variety
That is, of course, a very simplified version of what your intention would like, but you get the idea.
Now if you want to kick it up a notch and incorporate a new moon ritual to go along with your Moon Intentions, I love Autumn Seibel’s moon rituals from Golden Otter Divinations. She has an array of different rituals that tap into the specific zodiac energy of that particular moon. It’s a lovely way to expand the energy and intention of the new moon!
I’d LOVE to hear from you! Please share your Intentions and rituals in the comments below. We all learn from each other…that’s the beauty of it!